Monday, February 17, 2014

San Guillermo De Catmon

LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER:  Who's the Patron Saint of  Catmon, Cebu?

With no profound understanding and enough rationale, I don't know why the Fiesta Execom keep on using the name San Guillermo "De AQUITANIA" as if they are certain of the story behind the name, they could have used San Guillermo "De CATMON" as reflected in the commemorative inscription made of concrete or special material conspicuously mounted to a big stone in front of the Church (see attached pictures).


San Guillermo De Catmon or St. William of Catmon is nicer, comfortable, and even more practical to hear. Aquitaine/Aquitania, Gellone, and Malevalle are ancient names of places where San Guillermo is said to have originated or died. “The Great” and or “The Hermit”, are titles given to a person for his life’s achievements, works, and or dedications… a title befitted to a person, just like a “Saint or Sainthood”, a person has to earned it through a lot of sacrifices and even death. This is also another option… to use “Saint William The Great” (San Guillermo Magno/El Grande) or “Saint William The Hermit” (San Guillermo El ErmitaƱo ) as we have been calling Him ever since.

Below excerpt is taken from the book Balaanong Bahandi: “Sacred Treasures of the Archdiocese of Cebu” which is the only reliable source on the historical development of the parishes in the towns and cities of Cebu, as follows:



“The church of Saint William the Hermit (San Guillermo El ErmitaƱo) in Catmon, Cebu was built in November 2, 1835 by the Augustinian-Recollects after Catmon became an independent parish from Danao. The site where the church now stands was the third and final place chosen by its founder…”

Take note of the word "Hermit" after Saint William the, it connotes that our Patron Saint was a Hermit or Ermitanyo and breathe his last on February 10, 1157... the reason WHY we celebrate on this day to Honor San Guillermo and renew our faith.

St. William of Aquitania or St. William of Gellone as the author of the story of his life written in the Jubilee Year Book referred to was not a Hermit, but an Aristocrat… a person of noble character. He was not a Hermit; He spent his life in a monastery and remained a lay brother until his death in May 28, 812. His feast day is on May 28, the day he died.



The story of San Guillermo of Catmon in question began when the first souvenir Fiesta program was released in the form of a Jubilee Year Book. Everyone was in a haste collecting information and digging some buried history of Catmon to be featured in said program. I was the Youth Representative then in the Parish Pastoral Council being the President of the Catmon Student Organiztion “CASO” which was very active at the time. I, too have my piece in that program.

I wasn't interested in the story of our Patron Saint until a year ago when I came across a website with conflicting views, and this catches my attention… so the scooping goes. The more I dig the more it interests me. I am not trying to be knowledgeable because I’m not… I am just hoping that somebody out there with specifics and credibility would come out in open and share his blessings. It is a blessing to have kept this wonderful story of our Patron Saint and we will be so blessed if shared with us.

For more facts, please click below link:


Featured on February 8, 2014:


https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatmonanonSabAko/permalink/615731558492965/?stream_ref=2

4 comments:

  1. Wow. This gave me exact details that I'm looking for. I am making an article about your church for onecebu.com. While collecting for information in wikipedia, there's two church in Catmon: The St. Joseph and San Guillermo de Aquintania. I keep on looking for an info about San Guillermo but it seems lacked. Then here I am. Thankful to you. :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This gave me exact details that I'm looking for. I am making an article about your church for onecebu.com. While collecting for information in wikipedia, there's two church in Catmon: The St. Joseph and San Guillermo de Aquintania. I keep on looking for an info about San Guillermo but it seems lacked. Then here I am. Thankful to you. :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also visit my other piece for more info at http://catmonanonsabako.blogspot.com/2016/05/blind-faith.html

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete